Thursday, September 10, 2009

Los Angeles Fires- Appreciating Nature Now

WHY do we take Nature for GRANTED?
Last week the amber mountains that surrounded me,
both at home and at work made me realize how small yet how free we are.
Ashes covered all the steps to the front of my door. I explained nightly to my
eight-year-old son that we were safe, to no avail. He kept insisting: "How? It looks so close to us??" For his sanity and my lungs , I piled up a few things in the car and my boys and I drove on and away. I found a beautiful green forest where the boys learned about black bears and the last of the California Grizzly bear (1920), caves adorned with crystals that sparkled deep in the dark, and most importantly, about these magical giants which sport burn scars for they too had had a fire.
These scars however, ensure the future of these endangered species that so many have fought to protect, The Sequoias. Some are 1700 years old!
I always wanted to take my boys , but never had. It took a fire to make me brave and willing to do this, I always thought I would need the company of a grown male so we could be safe. Guess not! In the end, I learned that I am definitely not made for camping but that I am empowered 
to protect and distract my boys from the fragility that is to be human in this planet. Lucca learned that not all fires destroy but give life. Kostas learned that it takes 400 steps to climb the Moro Rock (but 399 steps to get sick and lose your lunch). Our ranger, like a forest fairy, standing beautiful in her hat and khakis, left us with these words: "In the end we will protect only that which we love. We only love that which we understand. 
We understand only that which we are taught."

No comments:

Post a Comment